Who is RJ Scaringe, the young billionaire who challenges Elon Musk and Tesla?


Robert Joseph (RJ) Scaringe is executive president and founder of Rivian Automotive, based in Plymouth Michigan. Elon's new rival (Musk, from Tesla).
Who is RJ Scaringe, the young billionaire who challenges Elon Musk and Tesla?

If you have not heard of Rivian, the electric car manufacturer, you are not alone.

Although the company was founded in 2009, it was not until 2018 that they started talking about it when they presented their first prototype models at the Auto Show in Los Angeles, United States.
And if you have not heard of Rivian - which is described as a car manufacturer whose mission is to "keep the world adventurous forever" - you will probably not know who RJ Scaringe is either.
He is, according to Forbes magazine, Elon's new rival (Musk, from Tesla).
Robert Joseph (better known as RJ) Scaringe is executive president and founder of Rivian Automotive, based in Plymouth Michigan.
The 37-year-old billionaire founded the company after graduating from MIT (Massachusetts Institute of Technology) in mechanical engineering.
The company, which was initially called Avera Automotive, began focusing its production on autonomous electric vehicles in 2011.
And since then, after receiving huge investments, he grew significantly by opening new facilities in Plymouth, Michigan; Normal, Illinois; San Jose and Irvine in California, Canada, and the United Kingdom.
Rivian has raised USD 3,600 million and among its investors are Amazon.com Inc and Ford Motor Co.
According to Scaringe, its investors are aware that it is a long-term company. Robert Joseph (better known as RJ) Scaringe is executive president and founder of Rivian Automotive, based in Plymouth Michigan
Rivian presented its first two prototype models in 2018.

The company specializes in SUVs (sport utility vehicles) and electric vans. The two models he presented in Los Angeles were the R1S, a seven-seat SUV, and the R1T truck.
The company boasts of designing "adventurous vehicles" for "people with active lifestyles."
It should be added that they are luxurious vehicles and equipped with all the high-tech amenities for buyers willing to pay at least US $ 70,000.
The company expects to start production of its truck this year.
"One of the reasons we kept quiet for so long is because we wanted to make sure we had all the parts in place," Scaringe told the BBC during the New York Auto Show in April 2019.
"So that when we showed the vehicles, it wasn't just cars for 'show' or an advertising display, but it was the real object."
According to Scaringe, its investors are aware that it is a "long-term" company.
"They are very committed and they allowed us to be silent during all those years to focus on technology, focus on product and execution," he said.
With the rise of Rivian, the electric vehicle market seems to be ceasing to be a one-horse race. (alluding to the company Tesla, by Elon Musk, which currently dominates that niche).

The world met Scaringe and Rivian in 2018 during the Los Angeles Auto Show.

Experts predict that 2020 could become the decade of electric vehicles.
Although electric and hybrid vehicles accounted for only 2.2% of all vehicles sold in the United States in the last quarter of 2019 - only 30% of these were purely electric - and only 5.1 million electric cars. They were sold in the world in 2018, those figures are expected to skyrocket in the next 10 years.
Today the big car manufacturers are already taking the electric vehicle sector more seriously.

Is Rivian worried about the competition?

"No, I think it's excellent," Scaringe told the BBC. "We need the world to start transitioning from a fossil fuel-based system to an electron storage-based system."
"We still are talking about that s or what 1% of sales are electric vehicles, so we need to bring the other 99% to the world of electrification," said Scaringe.
In addition to its first two models, Rivian is expected to include three other vehicles in its portfolio by 2024.
The company has not given details, but according to Forbes magazine, Scaringe admits that one of them will be a smaller vehicle and with a "considerably lower" sale price.
Share:

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.

ad

Popular News

Recent Posts